Best weapons and worst weapons

Sep 23, 2018 at 9:27 PM
ZYZZ Spur is the best gun because its super cool
"All your forum are belong to us!"
What do you think are the order of the weapons from worst to best?
I think there are 10 weapons
Also this includes all factors like how useful it is throughout the game, the amount of ammunition is has and everything
The only factor it doesn't include is the factor of being able to use it to trade/upgrade it for something else in the game

I think it is
1.) Spur
2.) Super Missile Launcher
3.) Blade
4.) Machine gun
5.) snake
6.) Nemesis
7.) Missile Launcher (the regular one)
8.) Bubbler
9.) Polar Star
10.) Fireball

also does anyone know if the spur levels up faster if you collect triangles?

Sep 23, 2018 at 11:23 PM
War criminal
"Life begins and ends with Nu."
This is a weapon Tier List that I made sometime ago on Discord, based on the damage, usability, and fun factors into account (Note: I have the Nemesis Levels being listed as separate weapons, as the changes in damage and usability drastically change compared to the other weapons, due to its inverted EXP growth):

Tier S - Spur
Tier A - Nemesis Lv. 1, Snake, Super Missile Launcher
Tier B - Polar Star, Fireball, Blade, Missile Launcher
Tier C - Machine Gun
Tier D - Bubbler, Nemesis Lv. 2
Tier F - Nemesis Lv. 3

Sep 24, 2018 at 12:12 AM
The TideWalker
Modding Community Discord Founder
"That dog!"
Here's my preferred weapons Including some common ones included in mods

S Tier - Blade, Spur, Super Missile Launcher, HHS blade
A Tier - Nemesis, Machine Gun, Snake
B Tier - Fireball, Shotgun
C Tier - Polar Star, Missile Launcher
D Tier - Bubbler
F Tier - Martini

-Blade-
Level 2 blade is good and it's really hard to accidentally downgrade it to level 1 level 3 is garbage but easy to avoid. Super overpowered DPS.

-Spur-
Not my preferred weapon but the charge shots are high DPS, not the best for bosses but normal enemies get roasted by this gun.

-Super Missile Launcher-
Huge DPS, basically Blade lvl 2 but worse because you have limited shots. Only should be used on bosses or instances where you have to spend them on long range enemies.

-HHS blade-
Pretty much the same story as normal blade except DPs is better but range is almost nonexistent.

-Nemesis-
It's like the blade with better range but avoiding exp is a big thing here. If you have alternatives that deal less damage but have more range I would go with that in hoards of enemies. Also if you can't spare any health don't take this weapon.

-Machine gun-
Super mobility enabled, also decent DPS.

-Snake-
Good DPS, only weapon that can fire through walls.

-Fireball-
Situational and made for certain types of terrain only but not a bad choice overall if you don't have better weapons.

-Shotgun-
If you can master it, it's honestly better for getting around fast than shooting things. This being said the reload speed is slow and annoying.

-Polar Star-
ehh

-Missile Launcher-
Kinda ok DPS but it's limited ammo and lower DPS than some of the A tier weapons make me not like this.

-Bubbler-
Literally would never use this even though it looks kinda cool. Shield of bubbles at lvl 3 don't even kill enemies and it's DPS is so so low.

-Martini-
I'd rather drink the curly brace.

Sep 24, 2018 at 2:29 AM
Org Discord Admin
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
also does anyone know if the spur levels up faster if you collect triangles?
Yes, it does. In a room filled with EXP triangles you might notice that your Spur charges up way faster than usual.

This is why I can't really compare it to other 2 top-tier weapons, the Blade and Super Missiles, that is. They all have their own tactical values and their effectiveness directly depends on how fast you mash the X button.

When you can't mash fast enough, Spur's Level 1 and 2 charges and Super Missiles are good for bosses. When you can, the Blade Level 2 is almost like a death spike.

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 7:48 AM
Indie game enthusiast
"What is a man!? A miserable pile of secrets! But enough talk, have at you!"
Hmm...

S - Spur, Blade lvl 2, Blade lvl 3 theoretically, Super Missile Launcher, Machinegun lvl 3
A - Snake, Nemesis lvl 1, Shotgun lvl 3, Bubbler lvl 3
B - Fireball lvl 3, Missile Launcher, Nemesis lvl 2, Blade lvl 1, Machinegun lvl 2, Shotgun lvl 2, Polar Star lvl 3
C - Bubbler lvl 2, Fireball lvl 2, Machinegun lvl 1, Shotgun lvl 1, Polar star lvl 2
D - Bubbler lvl 1, Fireball lvl 1, Polar star lvl 1
F - Nemesis lvl 3

Comments:
S-RANK

Well, my preferred lazy weapon is the trusty Spur. There's nothing quite as satisfying as firing a giant laser. No level downs? Check. Major damage? Check. Last resort chance? Check.
Did you know? If you charge the laser and access the inventory screen to switch weapons, it will maintain its charge until you open the inventory screen and switch back.
Unfortunately using the switch weapon hotkey doesn't keep the charge... And opening up the inventory screen in battle kinda kills the mood. ("YOU WILL DIE!..... what are you doing" *reading Sue's letter*)

Blade lvl 3?! Under normal circumstances, it's unwieldy and slow. But, theoretically... It makes the most wonderful fire and forget support weapon. So if you have a way to shoot it and instantly switch back to your primary weapon you're outputting more damage! Somewhat manageable to do if you just have 2 weapons...

Super Missile Launcher. The great boss finisher. What more needs to be said? Sadly, with the limited ammo, I think few get to enjoy the satisfaction of fireworks on normal enemies...

Machinegun lvl 3. It's got mobility and a guilty little secret. If you tap the fire button as fast as possible... you fire faster, AND you use less ammo. (A rapidfire key... really, really comes in handy in saving your arm.) Doesn't quite output the damage as other choices, but what a solid choice.

A-RANK

I know what you're thinking... Bubbler lvl 3??? Actually, I love when mods give me the Bubbler early on. Bubbler lvl 3 might be stronger than a lvl 3 Machinegun if I recall correctly. The trick, like the machinegun, is that it can fire much faster and nearly forever if manually tapped fast as possible. Bypassing most energy consumption.
My greatest disappointment however... Are that bubbles automatically turn to lightning after a sec, when attack is held down. ... Because if you hold down the key and switch weapons, the bubbles stay. So if they were modded to last longer, or not attack until switched back to the weapon... It would make a most interesting support barrier.

B-RANK

Fireball... That vertical bounce! Also, makes for a reasonable fire and forget weapon. Imagine if Quote could dual wield... Well you could spam switch weapon...

F-RANK
Nemesis lvl 3. What a quack! I wish it went all the way and just healed the target honestly...
Or... perhaps it could have mod potential. Don't want to kill an NPC? Stun it! i.e. Cave Story would be pretty oddly dark and depressing if Toroko explodes at the beginning. I mean using that lvl 3 polar star on little Toroko seems a little dangerous, am I right?? ... huh? I'm the only one who grinded to try that at the start? D:

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018 at 8:25 AM
War criminal
Seeing people post modded weapons, i feel that's a category all on its own, so I will try to list as many as I can think of:

Tier X - Detonator (Slither/Dunc)
Tier S - RPG (WTF Story), Upgraded Block Gun (WTF Story), Spark (Kenzo)
Tier A - Shotgun (Noxid), Block Gun (WTF Story), Bubbler 2.0 (WTF Story), 6 Barreled Polar Star (Rave Story)
Tier B - HHS Blade (Hina), Teleport Nemesis (Noxid), Shovel (Treasure Islands)
Tier C - Martini (Rave Story), Portal Gun (WTF Story), Bomb Launcher (SIM)
Tier D - CynBubbler (Noxid), Polar Star edits (Hina)
Tier F - Cat gay (Safusaka)

Sep 24, 2018 at 11:41 AM
It Really Do Be Like That Sometimes
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Spur, Super Missiles, Blade, nemesis, machine gun, Bubbline, Fireball, snake, polar star.

Sep 24, 2018 at 4:08 PM
"Ha! Ha! Ha! Mega Man is no match for my Mimiga Man!"
I think that they go like this [best to worst]

Spur, Missile launcher, Snake, Machine gun, Blade, Nemesis Polar star, Fireball, & Bubbline. I don't ever use the bubbline except for the sake of having it, really.

Sep 24, 2018 at 5:07 PM
Org Discord Admin
"This is the greatest handgun ever made! You have to ask yourself, do I feel lucky?"
If I could include weapons from other mods, I'd have to make an entirely different ranking system for weapons from Rise of Ballos 2. They're all just unique and way more powerful than anything in Cave Story.

Anyway, my personal list:
A-tier: Super Missiles, Blade lvl2, Spur
B+-tier: Nemesis lvl1, Blade lvl1
B-tier: Blade lvl3, Snake
C-tier: Missile Launcher, Machine Gun, Fireball
D-Tier: Polar Star, Bubbler, Nemesis lvl2
F-Tier: Nemesis lvl1

Most of these are compared by strategic value and their damage output at 12 presses a second (my average mashing speed, actually).

Sep 24, 2018 at 6:30 PM
This generally tends to be my list:

A: Spur, LVL3 Polar Star, LVL2-3 Blade
B: LVL3 Bubbler, Fireball
C: Super missles, Machine gun
D: Missles, Nemesis, Snake

Sep 24, 2018 at 7:55 PM
Thanks for all the responses everyone! Your lists were super interesting to read :hoppy::hoppy::hoppy:

I think that they go like this [best to worst]

Spur, Missile launcher, Snake, Machine gun, Blade, Nemesis Polar star, Fireball, & Bubbline. I don't ever use the bubbline except for the sake of having it, really.
I agree sometimes I just get the bubbler just because its fun to have more weapons and it looks cool when you have the most amount of weapons in the end

Sep 25, 2018 at 12:05 AM
I do that with items. I get an extra jellyfish juice even though i don't need it.

Sep 25, 2018 at 2:09 AM
I do that with items. I get an extra jellyfish juice even though i don't need it.
Same. It satisfies the part of my brain that is obsessive over collecting everything possible in everything for some reason

Sep 25, 2018 at 2:13 AM
War criminal
It is possible to beat the game with a full inventory, a good example being Aar's 100% run

Sep 25, 2018 at 3:33 AM
It isn't possible to beat the game with all the possible items tho.

Sep 25, 2018 at 5:20 AM
War criminal
That's why i said full Inventory, though i wonder what'll happen if you even go past the inventory display limit in a mod...

Sep 25, 2018 at 11:48 AM
It Really Do Be Like That Sometimes
"Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-Wacka-BLEIUP"
Just wondering, is there any run where you want the snake? For speed runs you want the machine gun to propel you upward, and for power you want the spur. You also give up the fireball which can be useful even in late game. That why the snake is at the bottom of my list.

Sep 25, 2018 at 12:07 PM
Well probably not. I just like the snake as a weapon & concept. It looks cool too.

Its possible to beat hell with the snake, I've gone through that myself. It just isn't as practical.

Sep 25, 2018 at 7:41 PM
"Fly, Fly, Fly!"
I'm weird!
I use the Spur, Bubbler LV3, Blade LV3, Super Missiles, and I just leave the Fireball in the back.
I just like this combo of weapons.

Sep 25, 2018 at 8:12 PM
Just wondering, is there any run where you want the snake? For speed runs you want the machine gun to propel you upward, and for power you want the spur. You also give up the fireball which can be useful even in late game. That why the snake is at the bottom of my list.
Maybe you can shoot those deleets in the ballos area sacred grounds area
but i thought if you were super duper advanced you could actually use the blade which could go through walls at level 3 a little bit but thatd be super hard to do